About Me

My photo
Why Sweet Thunder? It was my Indian name given to me at a camp when I was a teenager. The counselor said that I had a huge, SWEET, heart, but I was also loud and boisterous like THUNDER! Still rings true to this day! This is my 13th year of teaching and I have been fortunate enough to teach in the US, South America, Africa and Asia. This blog is my canvas for experiences, thoughts, feelings and memories. Read with caution!

Sunday 17 January 2010

Online godess


My goal at the beginning of 2009 was to finish the first part of my Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies - that really is a fancy title for saying that I have taken some leadership classes that will help me later when I want to pursue a job as an Athletic Director. I was nervous because this was my first attempt at online classes. I was nervous for various reasons - At the beginning of 2009 I was traveling with some friends through Argentina. To begin my classes I was going to have to find an Internet cafe and communicate via Skype and rely on spotty Internet access. I was also nervous because I really truly hate school. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't hate LEARNING, I hate school. I hate the act of sitting down at a computer and reading through my classmates comments and then trying to find something that I can contribute - something witty, something worthwhile, something that does not convince them that I have no interest at all in what they are saying.

My online classes would last about 8 weeks a session. I would need to communicate with my classmates and professor every week and then complete 2 - 3 assignments every week. All of this was happening at the same time that I was teaching full time, coaching volleyball, attending my kickboxing and Pilate's class, grading papers and volunteering at my favorite orphanage! No problem, right?!?!

Well, I had started my classes in Buenos Aires, Argentina, I continued to take my classes online while living in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. I went home for the summer and so completed one of my leadership classes in Lafayette, Indiana and then my final class had an assignment due just as I was landing in Rio de Janiero, Brazil. I went to another Internet cafe with spotty internet access and chuckled to myself as I submitted my final paper. Nothing like online classes while traveling to 4 different countries and 2 continents! Cheers to online learning!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you are not afriad to take on things that seem impossible!

    ReplyDelete