About Me

My photo
Why Sweet Thunder? It was my Indian name given to me at a camp when I was a teenager. The counselor said that I had a huge, SWEET, heart, but I was also loud and boisterous like THUNDER! Still rings true to this day! This is my 13th year of teaching and I have been fortunate enough to teach in the US, South America, Africa and Asia. This blog is my canvas for experiences, thoughts, feelings and memories. Read with caution!

Sunday 17 January 2010

The adventure continues



Well, I guess it is official!

No more editing my resume and typing new cover letters. No more letters of recommendation. No more checking TIE online for job openings. No asking friends if they have friends who might have friends that are in education.

It is official.

I am off the market.

I found a great Christian school that I was interested in way back in November (that is pretty early to begin thinking about jobs for the next school year). I loved the mission and philosophy of the school, I loved the direction they were heading professionally and I loved the change of scenery/culture that would take place for me if I accepted a job at that school. I contacted the HR department and sent everything I could think of to try to make me look different than the 300 candidates that would come across their desk. Then the HR deparment contacted me and asked for a personal mission statement and my personal statement of faith. It took me some time to figure out what my personal mission for my life really is. What do I want for my life professionally and what have I seen in my life spiritually? It was therapuatic to have to sit and reflect on the things that are important to me.

#1 - I want to impact others - I became an educator for the sole purpose of impacting the world. Why wouldn't I want to be in a profession that can be such a catalyst for young kids and know that I have a unique role to play? - What an honor - tons of responsibility too, but I am always up for a challenge.
#2 - I want to be in an environment that is postive and supportive. I want to work for a school that has pillars of morality and is not afraid to teach morality to kids, teachers, parents and administrators.
#3 - I want to know that I am doing what God wants me to do. I was created with a purpose. I have met too many people in life that are stumbling around not really sure what they are doing or why they are even here - I don't want to be a wanderer anymore. I am convinced that I have the God-given talents to use in the classroom and on any sports field - I want to use those gifts and talents and I want to use them well!

So, on a fateful day while I was vacationing in Brazil - I had my third interview with the school. They expressed that they were interested in me and they didn't want to wait until I got back to Bolivia make their decision. They felt that I was a good fit for the school, just as I had felt peace about possibly coming to the school. They offered me the job while I was in a noisy internet cafe around 12:30am Brazil time (about 8:30am in Korea). Looking around me, the young teenagers were noisy and playing their video games. People were speaking in Portugese as they were talking to their friends on Skype. Yet, with all the distractions, with all the noise, I felt a peace and calmness as they offered me the job in Seoul, Korea.
I will be teaching 7th grade English and Social Studies. I will be living in an apartment that is paid for by the school. I will have retirement, health, dental and vision. I will be coaching volleyball and be involved in a discipleship program. I will be living and working among the Korean people.

So, for me the adventure continues. I have had an amazing time teaching overseas and traveling though South America. My eyes have seen things I would never have imagined and my body and soul are changed because of my time in Bolivia. But again, it is not over for me. I am Korea bound.
So if you need a place to stay while passing through South Korea, give me a call - I can be your tour guide - for cheap!

http://www.sfs.or.kr/

1 comment: