About Me

My photo
Why Sweet Thunder? It was my Indian name given to me at a camp when I was a teenager. The counselor said that I had a huge, SWEET, heart, but I was also loud and boisterous like THUNDER! Still rings true to this day! This is my 13th year of teaching and I have been fortunate enough to teach in the US, South America, Africa and Asia. This blog is my canvas for experiences, thoughts, feelings and memories. Read with caution!

Thursday 12 August 2010

Thighs of steel


I have been living as a contented soul in Seoul for the past ten days. I am getting adjusted to my new culture, my new school, my new co-workers and the new HILLS - very soon my pants are going to start to fit a little tighter in the upper leg region because I am developing thighs of steel!

I moved into my new surroundings with a surprisingly seamless transition. The flight was long, but the customs process was painless and efficient. As I entered Incheon airport, my colleagues from Seoul Foreign School stood ready to greet and assist me. I unloaded my luggage and met native English speakers and was transported to my new school in a shiny, black HUMMER! SO FAR SO GOOD!

I arrived on campus and was introduced to my FREE apartment and quickly learned that my new digs were more than enough for one single girl. Snooping through my pad, I opened my refrigerator to see milk, cheese, bread and a small package with Korean symbols that resembled yogurt. It is the summer months so the weather is a bit hot and sticky. My first night in Seoul, South Korea was spent unpacking, showering and falling asleep to the sweet sounds of air conditioning!

This school is LEGIT - the Human Resources takes care of each new teacher by providing our bonus money on the second day of school. For the first week we are provided breakfast, lunch and dinner and even given the option to participate in group wide trips to Home Plus (Target equivalent) and COSTCO! Our weekend entertainment consisted of a tour of the subway and a trip to a Korean dance festival in which we could pay $5 to dress in traditional Korean costumes (see photo above)!

There is something to be said for a school that has an AVERAGE teacher stay equal to almost five years. It is impressive when a school boasts about the sabattical option for teachers or the 50% tuition reimbursement. It is shocking to be granted a brand new MAC book PRO laptop and given the option to buy a IPhone where the school will take care of all the red tape. There is a great sigh of relief when you are employed by a school that designs their programs/curriculum and health care with ALL teachers in mind! I have a tax free salary, I have health benefits, I have a savings account, I have a retirement, I have FREE housing, I have a food allowance, utilities allowance, professional development funds, and fifteen personal days. I am surrounded by a community of hard working, faith building, professionals! I have arrived.

I have arrived in more than one sense of the word. I have physically arrived in Seoul, South Korea. My body is aching from the LARGE hills that I have to climb in order to reach the city. I am exhausted with meetings and anxious for the school year to begin. I have arrived in a culture that is foreign to this foreigner, yet, I sit at my desk content. My thighs ache, but my soul is at ease - I have arrived! I have finally arrived!

4 comments:

  1. Testing, testing - My mom said she can't leave a comment and I am ONCE again proving her wrong! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl. Love the new background. Typing to you on my new MacBook Pro from school as well. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How incredible!!!! They didn't make you wait 2 weeks for the bonus??? Maybe you know who needs to take a few lessons from this school! :) I am so excited to hear more amiga. Call me when you can!!! Besitos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeremiah 29:11, 13
    For I KNOW the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to PROSPER you and not to harm you; plans to give you hope and a future. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

    Its most likely the pregnancy, but I feel the tears well in my eyes as I read this entry. It wasn't that long ago you were barely graduating with an English degree and a big question mark on your heart. And look where the Lord has taken you already! In this entry you arrived, and in the very next one you are reminded that you are on a journey which will last your lifetime. So proud of you! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete