About Me

My photo
Why Sweet Thunder? It was my Indian name given to me at a camp when I was a teenager. The counselor said that I had a huge, SWEET, heart, but I was also loud and boisterous like THUNDER! Still rings true to this day! This is my 13th year of teaching and I have been fortunate enough to teach in the US, South America, Africa and Asia. This blog is my canvas for experiences, thoughts, feelings and memories. Read with caution!

Saturday 30 October 2010

Teaching and tears









I am a sap. I like to say I am emotional, but others might refer to me as a crybaby. My mom has some funny parenting stories about my sister and me. My sister is a solid rock when it comes to emotion and I can count on one hand the amount of times I have seen her cry. When we would get in trouble and we were spanked, she would grit her teeth, but she would never shed a tear. When my mom was angry at me, all she had to do was tell me she was disappointed and I was a ball of gooey mess whimpering at her feet. I cry at everything - really. I have seen the movie Steel Magnolias at least 20 times and I swear I cry like a baby every time the graveyard scene happens. I know Julia Roberts is going to die, I expect it and I know what is about to happen when Sally Fields is walking by the gravesite. Yet, there is something about pure emotion that gets to me every time. Talk about war, or someone's loss, the love of Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy, or fighting for one's honor - just get out the Kleenex box because I am a blubbering mess.

The tears come from emotion. I can't stand to see someone crying alone because I know they are hurting. There is raw emotion taking place and it just triggers my sympathetic tear ducts. Another way to trigger my emotions is to mention teaching. My job is important to me and yes, I am one of those teachers that owns the inspirational calendar that talks about the impact a teacher has. I have an apple on my desk and I love it that my Mom thought of me when she saw printed on the apple, "Teachers make a difference." Why the water works you ask? Because teaching is my JOB, teaching is my PURPOSE and as my Daddy always said, "there is no use doing something if you are only going to do it half ass!" My dad was never one to mix his words! :)

In order for a teacher to do their job well they MUST establish some type of student rapport. If the students trust you, then you can teach. If you can teach knowing they trust you, then they can learn. If they learn, you feel valued. If you feel valued, you work harder at becoming a better teacher....and the cycle continues.

Coming here to Korea, I have been a novice at pretty much everything. How does the subway system work? How can I get access to the school gym, how do I fill out a copy request form, and most importantly, how can I begin to get to know these 45 students that will be like my children over the next ten months? Not only am I sappy, but I am also impatient. When I want something to happen, I want it to occur YESTERDAY. Moving to Korea, I just wanted something to be familiar and I desperately wanted my students and I to have this outstanding connection right from the start. I wanted the student rapport to happen on day ONE.

Building rapport with students takes time. It takes time, energy, countless hours and attention to small details - details of a hormonal teenager.
So, over the past three months I have begun the task of diving into the world of a teenager. I have joked with them about their nicknames. I have celebrated successes in their writing and I have made them OWN their high test scores by strutting around the room like a peacock. I have congratulated them when they are running cross country. I have bandaged them when they cut their finger. I have asked them about their favorite instrument, their pet hedgehog and where they were born. I have given them animal crackers before or after a hard test. I have talked about their siblings and the new I Phone. We have swaped silly bands and I have consoled them when they are dealing with middle school drama. Slowly, but surely I have developed a connection with them.

Even though I have been teaching for six short years, I still get teary when it comes to students. Just the other day a student says to me, "Miss Skidmore, can I stay in your room for a bit?" I respond, "Sure, but why?" They say, "Because your room is warm and cozy and I like being here." Sniff, sniff. I let them in and smile to myself and then get out the Kleenex box. "Miss Skidmore, are you OK?" the student asked. "Yes," I replied, "just allergies."

I hope I NEVER outgrow my tear ducts!

5 comments:

  1. I am right there with you when it comes to being emotional! Bring on the kleenex:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel ya!!!! You have to LOVE what you do in order to do it well!!! I had a student last week ask if they could stay in my room all day because he feels happy in there!! It does feel good when they want to be with you. I can't believe we are in our 7th year---feels like we just started. I have loved being on this journey with you--even if it is across the world!!! Have a great year. As always--I am in awe of you!!! Love ya, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sweet Misty, That's one of the things I love about you (your sappyness)! You love deep and you feel deep. I love that we watch Steel Magnolias together every summer and we both cray every time! Memories! :-) Your students are lucky to have a teacher that wants to invest in their lives and "know" them more personally. I'm so thankful that you enjoy your job and pour yourself into it. I hope all my grandchildren have teachers like you! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Misty,

    Love, love, love your passion for teaching! As a mom with 3 boys, I wish my kiddos had more teachers like you. What a blessing you are to those students. You are making a huge impact on their lives!

    Way to go Ms. Skidmore!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You wouldn't be Misty without the appropriate tear ducts...and I love you just the way you are! Julie-Indiana Julie, not Pittsburg Julie :)

    ReplyDelete